Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cravin' the Cheese!

I recently posted on Twitter about how I am substituting Cholua sauce for cheese on my eggs in the morning. Cholua has 0 calories, and we all know how bad cheese can be for you! So, @MissLegallyFit had asked if I have a problem with cheese cravings, and I realized that I really do! It's not just my craving for queso/salsa dip (which, by the way, I haven't eaten since before Lent started!), but it's a craving for cheese in every meal! Extra cheesy eggs in the morning, extra cheese on my sandwich at lunch, mac and cheese for dinner, and cheese and crackers for a snack used to be a normal day. @MissLegallyFit suggested that I possibly wasn't getting enough calcium in my diet - but I'm not sure this is the case. My daily vitamin gives me some calcium, and I usually have at least 1 8oz glass of soy milk a day. So I went researching on the net!
 
 
Everything I found online suggests that I crave cheese because I'm actually addicted to it! I used to think that a food addiction is a poor excuse for not having self control. "Oh, I can't stop drinking Pepsi because I'm addicted - oh well!" I hated those excuses. I wanted the person just to admit that they won't stop drinking soda for a specific reason, or because they simply like it too much. Don't blame it on addiction.
 
 Beware of signs of addiction in your own children
 
 
But here I am, debating if I had/have an addiction to cheese. Dangle all the chocolate in the world in front of me, and I can easily walk away - but one slice of cheese, and I can't say no! So, after cutting out queso a couple weeks ago, I've been slowly finding reasons to NOT eat cheese. Adding extra veggies on a sandwich instead of cheese, or creating a breakfast burrito with only eggs, black beans and salsa. It's been slowly cutting back the cravings, that's for sure...which means that maybe the addiction was for real. Regardless, I've been cutting back which is what matters.
 
Check out these sites if you're interested, and do some research on your own to understand your own cravings and find a way to beat it:
 
 
 
 
 
Did I mention that I also dream of cheese and rainbows?
 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it is odd - but is it just cheese? For me it was cheese and all other milkfat: cream, butter, cheeses and everything in between. I gave up milk fat and life changed completely - in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is just the cheese - I'll crave an ice cream cone on a hot summer day like anyone else, but that's about it with milkfat...
    But still - I think I'll take your lead and try to cut out milkfat as much as possible. I've already changed to nonfat milk and nonfat greek yogurt - I'll try some nonfat cheese on my next grocery trip - wish me luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete