Saturday, March 10, 2012

Tackling my fear - the Treadmill edition

My hubby ended up reading my blog post about the Treadmill of Doom.  And since all men want to be the hero, he offered to help me overcome my fear this morning.  Not one to turn down a challenge (well, skydiving doesn't count), I accepted and we went over to the row of treadmills at the gym.

They stalk their prey in a semi-circle...beware the ambush!

He stood to the side while I pressed the Quick Start button.  The track beneath me started moving at a snails pace.  Now, this may have been my problem in the past - I found it embarrassing to be taking a leisurely stroll on a treadmill, so I would always speed it up quickly so I at least got to a speed-walk/jogging pace.  And then I'd freak out, yank the stop button, and hold back the tears of shame as I stepped on an elliptical instead.  But here I was, slowly walking on the treadmill, and my husband telling me that it was OK to be starting off slow.  And that encouragement really helped.

I started to relax more, and got to the point where I told him to up the speed.  Eventually I got to that awkward point on the treadmill where it's a bit too fast to walk, and too slow to jog.  You know what I'm talking about.  Most people just up the speed right past that point, but my fear started creeping up on me again, and I was forced to remain in that awkward stage for at least a minute.  Finally I pried my hand loose from the bar and pushed the speed up to a comfortable jog - speed 4.  

My husband, in between speaking words of encouragement, was definitely was holding in the laughter at how tense I looked.  When I asked what was so funny, he replied that it looked like I was running with a puckered butt-hole.  Thanks, love.  That's my dream man, right there.

As if my red face wasn't embarrassing enough...

I made it to the half mile mark before stopping - I could have kept going, but my hands were sweating from my anxiety so much that they kept slipping off the heartbeat monitor bar!  I felt good that I was able to stay on the dreaded machine more than 10 seconds, but I'm far from my goal of going 3 miles without stopping before my first 5K.  I'm pretty sure that I'll still have my hubby-coach by my side next time I tackle this though...which will be tomorrow morning, yikes!

I'll update you on how session two of the Treadmill of Doom goes.


3 comments:

  1. It really does get a bit less daunting and a bit easier as you move forward toward your goal. There is not a feeling on earth like when you actually finish your first race. Just to finish is the accomplishment in itself. You will be elated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I started using a treadmill. It can be a bit scary and seem so odd. Now it's normal. I still do most of my walking outdoors but it's good to have the treadmill at home to use. Love the title of your blog. It made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement guys! I can't wait for the day that the machine-that-shall-not-be-named is no longer scary to me and is in fact a normal part of my exercise routine!

    ReplyDelete