Friday, February 24, 2012

The Treadmill of Doom

I hate treadmills.   Always have.   Now, I know what you're assuming - that I don't like them because I'm overweight and don't want to exert the energy to actually run. Nope, that's actually not the reason. I wish that I could run on them. I could watch a TV show, read a magazine, or simply stay inside during a Colorado blizzard - AND get some good cardio and fat burning action at the same time! No, the reason I hate treadmills is because I have some unknown irrational fear that rises to the surface each time I step on them.
 
 
I don't have many fears. There is my fear of spiders, which I deal with by screeching unintelligible syllables and running out of the room, refusing to go back in until someone removes it from my sight. And there is also my fear of heights, which is not as easy to deal with. When that fear comes on, I literally freeze up. My insides turn to stone, with the exception of my heart and lungs, who each seem to be competing to see who can go the fastest - my heart rate or my breathing. Nausea comes on, and because of the stone limbs, I'm unable to remove myself from the offending position. I'm stuck in horror until someone can talk me into moving again.
Congrats - you've expanded your vocabulary today!
 
 
While it'd be so amusing to say that I run away screaming when I see a treadmill, I instead get the same feeling as my acrophobia when I step on one, even if I'm going at the lowest grandma speed possible. I start to freak out and immediately step off, fighting back that fear rising up. Yes, I attach that little safety shut-off clip on a string. And no, I've never actually fallen off or been injured by one in the past. So I don't have any reason to fear something that will help me get healthier. I guess I've just seen too many 'people falling off' videos:



Ok, some of these people are being idiots - but it proves that it DOES happen people!

So for now, I'll stick with the safety of the elliptical. Maybe one day I'll be able to conquer the treadmill...but I think I need some therapy first!

2 comments:

  1. I had one experience where my foot caught the edge and I spun around, yet somehow managed now to go flying off the damned thing. The key to a situation like that is keeping a straight face and saying "I meant to do that!" Works like a charm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treadmills are great fun. You get to run in place for as long as you want and never ever go anywhere. You can eat ice cream or have pizza on the comfort of your own exercise machine. That's the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete