Monday, February 6, 2012

Clothes that Mock You


I'm not a fanatic when it comes to clothes.  I don't have to wear the latest fashion (sorry, I think skinny jeans are hideous on women and traumatizing on men), nor carry a Coach bag when I go out.  In fact, my favorite shopping sprees are at thrift stores, where I can get a dozen shirts for under $50!  I've done quite a few of those shopping sprees over the years and have amassed a wardrobe that could rival professional Hoarders.  This is because I'm still holding on to shirts from middle school!  Yes, I've had the same clothes hanging in my closet for over half my life.  I don't wear them, but I still have them in hopes that one day I'll be able to fit into them again.

Stripes and Polka Dots?  So last season!
(photo courtesy of photostock)
 
I'm sure that there are other women out there just like me, that I'm not alone!  There are shirts in that vintage collection of mine that looked absolutely amazing on me at the time, and I'm sure that if I could just get my arm through the sleeve that they would look just as stunning now!  But I had to come to a realization to the following realizations:
 
1.  Those clothes have not been benefiting anyone for these past 15 years.  They're not being worn by me and not being worn by someone who needs them.  I'm selfishly keeping these clothes hidden away for no immediate reason at all.

2.  If I donated those clothes, someone could benefit from them right now, and I would free up much needed space in my closet.

3.  Those clothes are the opposite of motivating.  I would see them hanging in my closet everyday and realize how much weight I've gained and start to beat myself up over it.  After criticizing myself to the point of depression, instead of doing something about it - I would grab some popcorn and plop down on the couch to get my mind off my misery.  Yeah.  That's not going to work with my new lifestyle.

4. If I get rid of those smaller clothes and actually meet my weight-loss goal, I can fill my wardrobe with new clothes instead of wearing the ones I've already worn in my 7th grade Skate City picture!  What a great reward idea!  That will make me push myself to do just 10 more reps on a machine each time!
 
Ok - it's decided!  It's time for a trip to Goodwill and a wave goodbye to any clothes that do not A) fit me currently and B) I haven't worn in the past 6 months. There's my good deed for the day.

And when I look as hot as this, I'll go shopping and make friends with other hot girls!
(photo courtesy of Photostock)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment