Saturday, February 4, 2012

A personal trainer and a bucket of puke

The hubby and I have been working out and eating healthy for four weeks now.  Part of that includes going to a gym.  With this gym that we joined, we received one personal trainer session - so of course we signed up.

The woman who we picked is almost thirty, has two young boys, and has a body right off the cover of Maxim! Add a cheerful personality with a smile, and my husband and I were looking forward to the workout.  Neither of us have ever even thought of utilizing a personal trainer before, so we didn't know what to expect.  Maybe a clipboard while we're at various machines?  Make us do an ungodly amount of crunches while shouting at us to not stop?  OH IF ONLY!

After starting with a 5 minute warm-up on an elliptical, we started what she called a 'circuit,' and I can't even explain how much pain I was in while performing these seemingly easy moves!  Some my husband and I did together, like facing each other in the push up position, then clapping opposite hands again, and again, and again till we both fell down! And then came the murder move. The trainer had me squatting while holding an exercise ball above my head.  Easy right?  For thirty seconds that should be a cinch!  Nope!  At about the 15 second mark, my vision started to blur and my stomach started protesting...and then nausea swept over me like a bad hangover!  I put down that cursed ball and retreated to the bathroom where I thought I'd be worshiping the porcelain goddess like in my college years - but luckily after sitting on the floor for a little bit, I was able to slow my breathing and get back out there to keep going.

They look so happy because they are SITTING!  I was SQUATTING!
(photo courtesy of Photostock)


Let me sum up what I just wrote - I allowed a woman to push my body so hard that I almost puked!  Not to mention that a tomato red sweaty face is not the hottest thing in the world, and I don't even want to think about the sweat stains under my arms...  But here's the thing - after I was done, and we sat down to talk about nutrition - I felt good.  Really good.  Wide awake, standing straighter and pretty confident in myself.  I'm sitting here writing sore as hell, but I still feel good!  And I'm eager to spend a chunk of my paycheck to do it all over again!

These past few weeks when I've gone to the gym to work out, I jump on the elliptical for about 20 minutes, do some crunches, try a few weight machines, stretch and call it quits.  I work up a sweat, I feel good going home, but I never push myself to the limit.  I just don't know how.  And this new trainer did that - she pushed me, and I gave it my all.  Even to the point of almost puking.  The best thing though, is knowing that in a couple weeks or months I'll do that same routine and NOT feel like puking.  I'll see the improvement, and by that time I know I'll see it in my body as well!  That's motivation.

Not seen: buckets of puke that the balls are about to hit...
(photo courtesy of photostock)

No comments:

Post a Comment