Friday, February 3, 2012

Not obese, not chubby - just out of shape


The Wii Fit called me overweight.  Not much, but enough to make me sell the little criticizing bastard.  When I step on the board and it notices that I've gained a pound since the last time I logged on, it asks me why I think it is.  Um, I don't know!  I've been eating the same junk food for years, so it's not like I suddenly gorged myself on a bag of oreos when I've only eaten veggies for the past month.  But it doesn't let me say 'I don't know' - I have to find an excuse and lie to it just so I can swing my hips to a hula hoop for a few minutes!  Because I have morals and cannot handle lying to a machine, we sold it and looked for a different method of weight loss.

Swing those hips, Chubby McChubster!
(photo courtesy of Nintendo)
 
This is why I'm choosing to lose weight now though, instead of when I really am chubby, or even worse....obese!  I've noticed that I've put on about 10 pounds per year for the past few years, and that's not good!  I have no idea where this extra weight is going, because my clothes still mainly fit well, but it's adding up.  It's so easy to say "well, it's not like I'm buying anything in XL yet, so I can put off that crazy diet till later on in life." then go and make a batch of brownie batter and eat it all out of the bowl by myself.  Mmmm!  But even though that's the easy option - it's not going to help me down the road.  By choosing that bowl of brownie batter instead of some hummus and crackers, I've sentenced myself to huffing and puffing my way up the stairs in my company's parking garage.  I now have to wear a tankini instead of a dreaded bikini to hide the fact that my stomach reflects that batter instead of being flat.  It's choices that I thought was worth it in the past, but really, it's not.  What happens when I can't even make it up to my car and have to ask for a ride to the fourth level?  Or when even a tankini can't hide the roll of fat that will be peeking through the bottom?  Ugh - if I got to that point, it would be ten times harder to lose the weight and get back in shape!  
 
So the time is now, today, this minute.  I'm not wasting any more days of my life thinking that slightly chubby will be an ok-lifestyle!  It's not a hard decision. It's the execution and commitment that's the hard part.  So make that decision today and start that journey!  There will be times that mistakes will happen, or when the baked mac and cheese is just too tempting to ignore on a menu, but we're human - we make mistakes!  I'm allowing myself a couple mistakes - but not allowing myself off this path of becoming fit and healthy! Willpower!

No comments:

Post a Comment