Thursday, February 9, 2012

Nachos made me cheat


I have a fear with this healthy lifestyle I'm trying to live.  That I won't be able to actually practice what I preach.  I am struggling with eating healthy all day long.  A healthy breakfast?  Sure!  A salad for lunch?  Yummy!  But give me the option to purchase a smothered burrito with chile con queso to dip some chips in, and I haven't found a way to turn it down!  This week I gave in to that burrito on Tuesday when I went out for a friends birthday.  And last night I munched on some nachos at the bar during Trivia Night.  The culprit is the cheese.  And I can't figure out how to banish it from my life!
 
"Just Say No" does not apply to a Coloradan


The most confounding thing about my cheese weakness is that I do NOT feel good afterwards.  I feel my shoulders slump, my stomach pooches out a bit, and I'm tired.  I know that if I ate a fully balanced meal instead, I would be energized, working out the next day would be easier and I would be closer to my weight-loss goal! I know this in my mind, but in practice I revert back to the old couch potato in seconds.  How do I overcome this?  I might have to try a new goal for myself.  To spend one whole week only eating healthy. No allowances, no "cheat days." 
 
Cheat Days.  What a horrible device!  Each time I ate 'unhealthy' I would excuse it as being part of my Cheat Day - even though the hubby and I decided that Friday nights would be our Cheat Night.  It allows me this mentality of "oh, if I claim this is a Cheat Day Meal, then it's okay to eat a 900 calorie lunch!  I'll just be better tomorrow!"  And that is the failure of many diets.  And the reason why I continued to gain weight.  I thought that there's always a tomorrow, so I'll inhale that burger today!  What I never realized is that there's no time like the present, and my decisions today will effect my actions tomorrow.  So, to get into a healthy habit, let's give this a try.  1 week.  No Cheat Days.  Let's see if this works.... 
 
Um, I didn't say when I would start that 1 week....it's fully okay to wait until after our Cheat Night Dinner tomorrow night, right?  Don't judge me...didn't I start this post out saying that I don't think I'll be able to practice what I preach?

1 comment:

  1. Today you hit spot on. There is no tomorrow, only today, now, and the consequences we make for ourselves down the road are always based on what we do NOW. Great topic!!

    ReplyDelete