Tuesday, February 14, 2012

An Unfaithful Valentines Day


I think I need to start treating my healthy lifestyle like a relationship.  I never have and never will cheat on my husband, so why do I keep cheating on my diet?  Remember how I swore I wouldn't have a little fling with smothered burritos?  Well, I've stuck to that promise, but resorted to a one-night-stand with a large bowl of queso (cheese and salsa) dip and chips.  It was a tough day at work, I only had a small lunch and was still hungry, and queso has always been my comfort food, my de-stresser.  So, I went out to a local Mexican restaurant and got the large chips and queso to-go.  I ate the full amount back at my desk, enjoying every cheesey bite.  And then that full feeling set in.  Like when you realize you ate a whole gallon of ice cream while watching a movie - that feeling.  It was towards the end of my day as well, so I knew that within a few hours I would be working out.  Great, how will I be able to work out without puking feeling like a hippo?
 
My Casanova

 
I came home, and my husband greeted me with a glass of fresh pineapple, orange, coconut and apple juice from our juicer and a hard boiled egg for our snack before going to the gym.  I broke out in tears.  (Ladies, you understand how a random act of kindness can provoke tears! Gentlemen, you know women are crazy, so don't judge!)  I told him what I ate and how bad my stomach hurts and how I just want to curl up in a ball and wallow in my misery.  We sat down and had a long talk about sticking to our plan, creating habits, and admitting that mistakes happen.  I didn't want to go work out - BUT I knew that if I didn't go, subconsciously I would know that in the future, if I eat something bad, then I had an excuse to skip the gym.  That would just equal more 'mistakes' in the future!  So, after taking some medicine, I drank my juice and went to the gym....and worked my ass off!
 
I went up another level on the elliptical and kept my speed above 7 (usually I struggle to keep it above 5).  I did an extra set of reps on each weight machine (I usually do 3 sets of 5-10, depending on the weight).  AND I went back to the elliptical two extra times!  I was dripping sweat by the end, but my stomach ache was gone and I felt pretty proud of myself that I didn't let my mistake get in the way of being healthy!
 
It's tough to change your cravings and habits.  I'm always craving cheese, and I still don't think I'm at the point that I could turn down a greasy slab of pizza if it was offered.  But I'm getting there - one push up at a time!

Oh - and Happy Valentines Day my Bloggin' Buddies!

There'd better be a giftcard to Qdoba in that box mister!
(photo courtesy of Markuso)

1 comment:

  1. Way to not compound one mistake (quart of queso) with another (skipping the workout). My failings usually happen the other way around: I skip a workout and then feel bad about myself, so I eat to compensate. Grrrrrr. Anyway, way to put a good end to a bad start!

    ReplyDelete