Monday, February 20, 2012

My First Group Fitness Class - Sweat Included

Thanks to living in a country that celebrates past leaders, I had today, President's Day, off of work.  Since I normally work about 8-6 M-F, I was excited to actually be able to try one of the free classes that my gym offers!  Yes, there are some spinning classes that start at 6am, but it's taking all the motivation I can muster to go to the gym at all.  If I forced myself to wake up early as well, I would run, but not to the gym.
   
Run Away!!!


So I chose the 9am CardioFlex class.  I walked in with only my water bottle by my side, and looked at the other gym rats who were determined to be in shape. It was a good mix - I was by far the youngest, but felt like I was in the middle in terms of how out-of-shape I am.  That meant that I'd have others to look to for motivation to keep going, as well as those who would be struggling along with me.  I took the lead of those around me, and grabbed a small set of weights (3 pounds...just in case!), a weight lifting bar with no added weight on the end, a yoga mat and a thing that you step up on.  


The instructor started the music, and it was a non-stop sweat fest for the next HOUR.  Yes, an HOUR with no breaks!  There was nothing traditional about this workout.  Never once did we do a push up or sit up.  Every part of us was moving.  We had to squat while doing curls (Lower, Deeper!). We had to hold a plank position with our hands on the ground, and have our legs perform a running motion (Faster, Harder!).  Even while doing crunches, our legs were in on the action as well (Don't drop those legs!).  Whew!


Dump about 14 gallons of sweat onto this picture, 
and you get the idea of what I looked like


There were times that I truly hated the workout and the instructor.  I'm not up to this level of fitness yet!  Shouldn't she be concerned that we're all going to drop dead of a heart attack and let up a little?  I wanted to quit - but I didn't.  I kept pushing through, if for no other reason than "I'm never doing this crap again!" 


But then the end of the class came, and the stretching allowed my breathing to slow and my mind to clear.  I realized that I worked every muscle in my body.  I think even the few muscles in my ears were sore!  And that felt good.  I felt satisfied.  Part of me was still screaming that I would never willingly return to this form of torture again, but I still thanked the demon, ahem, lovely instructor for such a good work out. Too bad I can only take a class like this on a holiday!  It'll be back to the elliptical and weight machines tomorrow..



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got those ear muscles working. I had been meaning to talk to you about them sagging a little. And don't forget, Memorial Day weekend is right around the corner. Just wanted to give you something to look forward to, so mark your calendar!!

    ReplyDelete