Tuesday, February 7, 2012

To Train or not to Train - Are Personal Trainers Worth the Money? Part 1


As I mentioned, we received one free personal training session through our gym, and put us through a workout that a drill instructor would be jealous of.  But it will cost us some serious dough to continue to have sessions, so the question arose: Is a personal trainer worth it?
 

Oh, oh yes. YOU are worth it, sir.
(photo courtesy of photostock)
 

Well, let's examine what a personal trainer actually does:
 
1. Motivates and pushes you.  This is probably the biggest reason most people would give when asked why they throw hundreds of dollars for a trainer.  It takes a firm resolve to actually drive to the gym, and once you get there, even a greater resolve to push your self to your limits.  Which is why most people will do a few weights, spend some time on the treadmill, and go home.  A personal trainer will not let you off so easily, as I experienced with my 'buckets of puke' post!
 
2. Sets achievable short and long term goals and tracks your progress towards those goals.  Sure, I want to lose weight - I mean have you seen me in a tank top lately - and I think I set a pretty achievable goal for the end of summer to hike and camp on that trail with the hubby.  But just like you don't go from a first date to marriage (this ain't Las Vegas, baby), you cannot go from being a couch potato to hiking a fourteener.  You need those steps in the middle.  A trainer has experience and knows how to set that road map out for you!
 
3. Tells you what to eat and what to stay away from.  I know that the first things to be cut out of my everyday munchies include fast food and soda, but a trainer will point me in the right direction with supplements, portion sizes and other need-to-knows with nutrition.
 
The issue with every one of those points is that I could technically do all those myself.  My husband and I are tackling this gym and healthy lifestyle road together, so he's great at providing me the motivation.  Thanks to various apps I can track my weight loss, calorie intake and other goals. And there are numerous websites with nutritious and low-calorie recipes that I can look up on my own.  It's like paying someone to walk with you to work each day, pointing out when you should cross the street and reminding you to lock your car - it's not necessary! 
 
But, maybe it is necessary in this instance.  I mean, I never work myself to the point of passing out like the trainer did.  And looking at rows of protein powders and making a random pick based on a blog you read is nothing compared to your trainer saying that she uses a particular brand - and seeing the results right in front of you!  That's the thing - this trainer is a mother of two, a couple years older than me, and looks fantastic!  I want her body after I have kids!  She must be doing something right to look so good.  That's why I think I'll spend the money for her expertise - how hard she works me and the motivation she gives me by keeping her own body and spirit in shape!  Because hell, if I can look like her one day, I'll have it MADE!


 Welcome to the gun show, bitches!
(photo courtesy of photostock)

1 comment:

  1. I love my trainer, when i started with him 3-4 months ago i had NO intention in keeping him, just a new thing.... A phase.... But now 3-4 months later i am hooked, my body has changed and at 52. He pushes me, corrects my form and is a huge reason i stay focused. A good trainer is worth the money. I only see him twice a week, but cardio on my own 3-4 days a week.... Its a great week

    ReplyDelete